Thursday, 1 November 2007

Aww, my clean city

I am a little behind the times, but apparently Minneapolis, MN, was recently voted the 5th cleanest city in the world by Forbes magazine. (glow of pride) http://www.forbes.com/2007/04/16/worlds-cleanest-cities-biz-logistics-cx_rm_0416cleanest_slide_6.html?thisSpeed=15000


I noticed the distinct cleanliness of Mpls in comparison with New York City when I first moved from the latter to the former, but I still don’t know if it really is the 5th cleanest in the world. Yes, bicycling, parks, lakes and outdoor sports/activities are extremely popular there, and yes, the city does have a fairly extensive bus system and a burgeoning light rail system (only one line so far), but a LOT of people continue to drive cars regularly in the city. That being said, the recycling is decent, but I have to say Cardiff, Wales, has a better city recycling program, as far as organization and how much material can be collected and recycled.

In other cleanly news, my flat is a disaster area. I have vacuumed once in the last month and two days, and that’s it. We’re doing well on keeping dishes clean and taking out trash (and recycling), but vacuuming, sweeping, bathroom cleaning—all of these have fallen by the wayside. It’s so easy to ignore cleaning when there is news reading, studying, windsurfing, 35mm film developing, writing, sleeping, mad pinting, cooking and eating to be done. Though to be honest, I’ve done very little mad pinting—it’s going to have to wait for school breaks for me to do it properly. Anyway, Saturday is the day. The itemised agenda is as follows: library to do some general dissertation research, video skype with mom and dad, and CLEAN THE FLAT! Sunday is currently reserved for windsurfing, but I imagine I will do some news reading then, too.

No comments: