Wednesday, 14 January 2009

12 things about where I am

6 things I like about living in the UK:
1. I can ride my bike in January.
2. I can take a train or bus to get almost anywhere in the country.
3. Things are close together, so it doesn't take very long to walk or bike somewhere.
4. National health insurance
5. I can rent a furnished apartment for not much more than an unfurnished one.
6. tea


6 things I don't like about living in the UK:
1. Job-hunting as a foreigner is much more difficult.
2. Most restaurant food is expensive and not very good.
3. I have to pay 50 pence (about 75 cents US) to reserve a book at the library--though I think this is just southwest England, not the whole country.
4. Many, many websites here are not very user-friendly. Particularly city bus system sites. If you already know your bus number and your stop, you're in good shape. Otherwise, you're better off going to the station and talking to someone.
5. They are very concerned with titles--everything with my name on it also needs "Ms."
6. Too many options when it comes to mobile phones and gas and electric companies. Once you choose one of the 40 companies, then you have to choose between 40 plans, all of which are confusing.

No comments: