Sometimes it’s hard to be sociable here. It’s quite easy to chat with classmates before and after class, or if I run into them near Bute, where we have most of our lectures. What is more difficult is hearing at 2pm that there is a party that night...a party that is at someone’s (don’t know whose) home. We’ll all meet at a particular pub at a certain time, and then we’ll walk from there. It just seems quite limiting. And it’s getting cold outside, especially at night. And Dan offered to make something yum for dinner if I stopped by the supermarket to pick up a few items.
Of course, the other issue is that I always hope to spend more time reading or studying than I do. If I could plan ahead, that would help. Why don’t people have parties on Fridays? I guess they do; I just don’t know about them.
I sometimes fear that this year is going to be over before I know it, and I won’t be any closer to my classmates than I am now. This is a ridiculous fear, I know. I will see them every weekday for the next 9 weeks, and then every weekday for another 12 weeks or so. We will grow closer through little choice of our own. Familiarity breeds...um...friendship? It can’t hurt, I suppose.
In more positive school news, I have been reading The Economist. And it has inspired about 5 ideas for possible feature articles. Possibly dissertation topics? Well, not sure about that yet. I will feel more confident about the dissertation topic after reviewing some dissertations from previous years. I feel that I need some limits, or at least some tighter guidelines.
Good night. Hope the partying classmates are enjoying themselves...I’m sure they are.
Tuesday, 23 October 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment